Montefiore Conca is a small town located south of the province of Rimini, on the border with the Marche (province of Pesaro-Urbino). Its territory, of about 22 km², extends over the hills of the Tuscan-Romagna Apennines, not far from Valconca, the valley crossed by the homonymous river between Emilia-Romagna and Marche, which then flows into the Adriatic Sea. It is located at an altitude of 385 m a.s.l.
The origins of the village are very ancient and equally obscure: tradition saw it rise from Crustumium which was destroyed by the sea 3000 years ago.
In 1136 Pope Innocent II declares that the church of San Paolo is under Apostolic protection. In 1320 Pope John XXII ceded Montefiore to the Malatesta family. In 1371 the areas of the Marche and Romagna were surveyed, this allowed to know that the population of Montefiore ascended to 160 hearths.
In 1372 the control of the lordship passed to Galeotto who then gave it to his son Galeotto Belfiore (nicknamed with this adjective for being born in the fortress of Montefiore). After the death of Galeotto Belfiore (at 23 years of age due to an epidemic) Carlo said il Catone who supported the Church during the Western schism.
Carlo also died in 1429, followed by his nephew Roberto, known as the blessed. After Roberto’s death (at 21) his brother Sigismondo Malatesta took over and gave culture, art and prosperity to his territory. But he too made mistakes: the most fatal was the enmity with the Pope which led him to excommunication and the removal of his territories. Among these there was also Montefiore.
From 1500 to 1503 it was under the rule of Cesare Borgia. From 1504 to 1505 it was under the dominion of the Republic of Venice. From 1506 to 1514 it was under the dominion of the Holy See. In 1797 it became part of the Cisalpine Republic. In 1815 it was incorporated into Napoleon’s Italian Kingdom.
After the Congress of Vienna he was re-entrusted to the Church. After the Second War of Independence it became part of the Kingdom of Italy.
In 1863 the name was changed to Montefiorito and only in 1917 it was renamed to Montefiore on the proposal of Don Paolo Palmerini. Tradition traces this toponym back to an ancient Jewish family in the area.