The symbol of the city is the Rocca Roveresca, built between 1482 and 1492, which was an impregnable fortress throughout the territory.
La Rocca now houses the Museum of Historical Evocation and a collection of vintage knives and firearms; in the ditch of war machines faithfully reconstructed from drawings by Francesco Giorgio Martini, architect of La Rocca.
The ideal route to discover the history of Mondavio begins with a visit to the Civic Art Gallery located inside the Franciscan cloister. The Civic Art Gallery houses many paintings, furniture mainly from religious buildings. The rare editions dating from the 15th to the 17th centuries from the Capuchin libraries installed in Mondavio in 1557 deserve special attention. Among the valuable works are the 15th century Incunabula and the Cinquecentine.
Visit the Apollo theater which stands on the northwest walls as you enter Piazza della Rovere. The theater dates from the end of the 18th century, it was built in an old church dedicated to San Filippo Neri. The theater was completely renovated in 1887 according to the tastes of the heyday. Once functional again after its restoration, it hosts a remarkable theatrical season.
Visit of the Insignia Collegiata building dating from the 14th century, renovated in 1563 by Bartolomeo Genga.
The dedication of the church to Saints Peter and Paterniano which dates back to 1444 derives from the unification of two parishes distant from each other, while the Collegiata Insignia was erected from 1741, when it was necessary enlarge the church because it had become the largest in the region. Inside are works of exquisite work such as the Guardian Angel of Bottani from the 18th century.
Finally a visit to the Church of San Francesco.
Tradition has it that the church was built by the will of Saint Francis of Assisi on the occasion of his visit to Mondavio in the 13th century.
The current internal structure dates from the reconstruction of the 18th century while the facade has retained the original austerity and simplicity that distinguish the buildings of the Franciscan Order. Inside valuable works and among the most important “the Immaculate Conception” by the painter Giuliano Presutti