It is one of the four castles (together with Casteldimezzo, Gradara and Granarola), built between the tenth and thirteenth centuries, which constitute a defensive system, organized to control the siligata pass, in the border area between the Ravennate Church and the Church. Pesarese first, and between the Malatesta of Rimini and those of Pesaro then.
The village, originally called Fiorenzuola, took on the specification of Focara in 1889, probably due to the presence in antiquity of fires that signaled the position to mariners, or for the presence of “fornacelle” where bricks and terracotta were cooked (from Romagna dialect fuchèr or fugher, ie focare to cook bricks).
Few are the remains of its history: some portal of the ‘600 -700, some knockers at the gates. Interesting, in addition to the remains of the walls, the door on which a plaque recalls the verses of Dante (Inferno XXVIII) relating to a fact that occurred on the sea in front. Furthermore, the Church of Sant’Andrea remains documented since the XII century.