SASSOCORVARO
The Fortress - work of the Sienese architect Francesco di Giorgio Martini who was commissioned by Federico da Montefeltro in 1474 to fortify the Duchy of Urbino - and the Village of Sassocorvaro, were battlefield sites of the Malatesta and the Montefeltro families, where severe pillaging and destruction endured until the battle of Cesano, in which Federico da Montefeltro defeated
Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta.

It is thanks to professor Pasquale Rotondi - at the time the Superintendent of Cultural Heritage in Urbino - that about 10.000 artworks were safeguarded from the war and bomb attacks in the Fortress of Sassocorvaro, so as to hide and save the superb masterpieces of Italian art. But Sassocorvaro, besides its Fortress and this extraordinary story of love, passion and courage to
protect our cultural heritage, it is also an authentic romantic place. It is the town of love indeed!!!
Here are kept - in the Most Holy Trinity Oratory – the relics of the Patron Saint of lovers, St. Valentine.

At about the halfway point of a long, narrow and quite peculiar staircase which from Castle of the Ubaldini leads to the lowest area of the village (where it can be savoured the view - magnificent and romantic, to say the least – over Mercatale Lake), the compact brickwork façade of the Oratory of the Most Holy Trinity shows up.
It was erected in 1722 by abbot Gaspare Fabbrini under licence got from Castelli, namely the Bishop of Urbania. A notarial inventory of 1727, preserved in its original form in the episcopal curia of Urbania, provides documentary evidence as regards the inheritance of the relics in possession of the oratory, in particular the body of the martyred clergyman St. Valentine of Rome (his skull as well as some other bones) and it features the authentication made by the Augustinian Bishop Pietro Alberto Ledron in 1696.

To put it simply, the relics of the Holy martyr clergyman of Rome were carried to Sassocorvaro in a sealed urn and equipped with official and certified papers.
The story of the relics of martyr St. Valentine can also be accredited thanks to a signed act released on 27 October 1747 by Eustachio Carotti, the Vicar Apostolic of Urbania and Sant’Angelo in Vado.
Thus, Sassocorvaro commemorates Saint Valentine’s Day on 14 February with guided tours to the Most Holy Trinity Oratory so that during the celebration, which actually lasts for several days, there are many organized initiatives (plays, food and wine events – the candlelit dinner - and the «Blessing on Lovers»).

The hamlet of Sassocorvaro and its “walk of lovers” combined with the street of encounters, the fountain of love and the staircase of lovers, besides the Oratory of St. Valentine, is the perfect setting to live romantically a story of love.
And the panorama - from here - is absolutely stunning when looking down on Mercatale Lake (a reservoir of the fifties, originated by the construction of a dam across the river Foglia), which represents a haven of peace, tranquillity and... beauty.

AUDITORE
On the opposite side of the Foglia valley, on a spur of rocks, there is the municipality of Auditore, a marvellous medieval hamlet which preserves its ancient walls with two bastions, and also its imponent civic Tower with a circular base soaring up to a hexagonal belfry (15th century) which overlooks the hamlet and the valley.
In the 14th century, “Lauditorio” came under the dominion of the House of Malatesta which ruled over Auditore until 1463. It later got in the hands of the Montefeltro family and annexed to the Duchy of Urbino when, in 1631, the handover of the Duchy to the Holy See took place.
The village is greatly evocative and romantic: the stroll along the ancient walls which surround the historical hamlet as well as a break in sight of the civic Tower where to enjoy an extraordinary panorama looking down on the hills of the middle Valley of the Foglia.
A rolling landscape of incomparablebeauty, a romantic spot from which the gaze dives into the green sea and theyellow of the hills, to warm the heart.