It is located in the province of Rimini, on the lush hills of the Valconca, a few kilometers from the Marche border. It is 15 km from Cattolica, 20 from Riccione and 30 from the capital Rimini. It is inserted in the Valconca basin together with the municipalities of Mondaino and Montegridolfo.
The town, a Malatesta stronghold, is at the center of a crown of defensive castles, the last bastion of Rimini against the nearby Urbino dei Montefeltro. The structure of the center still reveals its medieval structure, with the maze of the alleys enclosed by the city walls and the monumental access gates: marine gate and mountain gate, for defense towards the sea and inland. The thirteenth and fourteenth centuries saw an alternation of power, on these lands, between the papal state and the lordship of the Malatesta family of Rimini. Then, following the attempt to revolt the Ondedei di Saludecio (1336) against Ferrantino, Malatestino and Guido Malatesti (failed due to a betrayal) in Saludecio the total dependence on the Malatesti is imposed.
The fifteenth century, despite having opened in the name of humanae litterae and serenity, with the peaceful stay in Montefiore of Pope Gregory XII, then saw the growth and development of the project of the Montefeltro of Urbino over the lands of Romagna. The already fragile balance collapsed in 1462 when, following national political issues, Federico da Montefeltro occupied Saludecio by taking him away from Sigismondo Malatesta, and returned him to the state of the Church.
In 1504, after passing through the hands of Duke Cesare Borgia, son of Pope Alexander VI, Saludecio was subjected to the government of Venice, but for a short time, since as early as 1508 the Venetians returned the territory to the State of the Church. The sixteenth century constitutes a sort of settlement of the town which in the following century will instead see a great economic and cultural growth, testified by the work of numerous artists engaged in the area (first of all Guido Cagnacci).
Even during the eighteenth century important construction sites opened, among which the most interesting is certainly the parish church of S. Biagio, which began in 1794 and ended in 1800. A fine example of neoclassical architecture, built by the Cesena architect Giuseppe Achilli, was strongly desired by the Saludecese parish priest despite the particularly difficult period, coinciding with the years of the Napoleonic descent. The nineteenth century therefore opens with splendor and continues with the same tenor, so much so that Saludecio, administrative capital can rightly be considered, for that period, a small capital. The ruling class (agrarian bourgeoisie) decides to embellish their buildings and build new ones, so that even today we can admire the splendid finishes and interior paintings of the fine buildings that overlook the streets of the town.
Today, after overcoming the crisis of the 1960s, which caused a massive exodus to the coast, the municipality has regained its identity by focusing mainly on the recovery of the agricultural and artisan economy as well as on the cultural, environmental and tourist enhancement of the area.