The cemetery stands on the slopes of the San Bartolo hill. The cemetery use of the area (approximately 6,700 square meters) dates back to 1695, when the Jewish community of Pesaro acquired it after an exchange with the farm in Pantano which housed the previous cemetery. Until the mid-twentieth century the space appeared as a steep country slope with sparse trees, then abandoned to the effects of time.
Its recovery – carried out in 2002 by the Scavolini Foundation – involved cleaning and restoration of the stone artefacts that indicate the burials and the installation of elements for the visit.
Today, around 140 tombstones emerge among the brambles, a number lower than the actual burials. The reason for this is to be found in the decree of Pope Urban VIII (1652) which forbids any tomb inscription for the Jews of the Papal States except for the distinguished rabbis and men or women of great culture and charity; reiterated in 1775 by Pius VI, the interdiction remains in force until Pius IX.
All the monuments are in local stones or marble. In the highest part of the cemetery, the most archaic, there are only vertical steles and cylindrical stones. In the central belt, real sepulchral monuments of classical taste appear, in the lower one, the most recent, romantic and naturalistic structures.
The most impressive burials are those erected between 1860 and the early twentieth century as evidence of a certain social emancipation of the Jews following the annexation of the Marche to the Kingdom of Italy.
panoramic road San Bartolo c / o n. 161
owned by the Jewish Community of Ancona
management of the Jewish Community of Ancona, Municipality of Pesaro, Monte San Bartolo Natural Park Authority
opening hours June-September every Thursday 17-19; free guided tours from 18 to 19
extraordinary opening 15 August 17-19
disabled access no
tel 0721 400858 – 348 7751596 Monte San Bartolo Natural Park Authority